1926 Scottsbluff Junior College was established as part of the Scottsbluff Public School System with additional support from the Scottsbluff Chamber of Commerce. The College became inactive after only one year.
1929 Scottsbluff Junior College was reopened in September as part of the Scottsbluff Public School System. The College operated as part of that system until September 1932, when it became a public, two-year institution.
1957 The Alliance School of Practical Nursing began at St. Josephs Hospital.
1965 Scottsbluff Junior College came under the auspices of Scotts Bluff County. In 1966, a bond issue was approved for the construction of a new campus. Western Nebraska Vocational Technical School was founded by the State Legislature in Cheyenne County at the former Sioux Army Depot, located approximately 12 miles west of Sidney. Classes began in 1966.
1968 Scotts Bluff College became Nebraska Western College.
1969 Nebraska Western College moved into its current facilities located at 1601 E. 27th Street in Scottsbluff.
1971 Western Nebraska Vocational Technical School in Cheyenne County changed its name to Western Nebraska Technical College.
1973 The State Legislature formed the Western Technical Community College Area, which included Nebraska Western College, Western Nebraska Technical College, and the Alliance School of Practical Nursing. In the spring, Nebraska Western College was granted the initial accreditation by the North Central Association/Commission on Institutions of Higher Education.
1978 The Western Technical Community College Area Board of Governors placed all three entities into a single college, multiple campus setting.
1979 Alliance School of Practical Nursing hired a part-time coordinator and began offering a variety of general education and vocational classes in conjunction with Nebraska Western College in Scottsbluff.
1982 Alliance School of Practical Nursing merged with Nebraska Western College in Scottsbluff to become the Nebraska Western College of Practical Nursing Program.
1983 Western Nebraska Technical College in Cheyenne County became a candidate for Accreditation by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
1988 The Western Technical Community College Area Board of Governors discontinued the separate campus names and changed the name of the College to Western Nebraska Community College Scottsbluff Campus and Sidney Center.
1991 The State Legislature changed the Area name to Western Community College Area.
1995 The Scottsbluff Campus expanded its facilities to include computer and distance learning classrooms and the applied technology building, and the Sidney Center moved to new facilities located at 371 College Drive in Sidney.
1997 Classes for the Sidney Aviation program began in the new aviation facility that was made possible through a partnership between the College, the City of Sidney, the Cheyenne County Airport Authority and the Western Nebraska Endowment Association.
1998The Alliance Center relocated to the new Alliance Learning Center constructed by the City of Alliance, adjacent to Alliance Public Schools. Previously, the Alliance Center was located at Box Butte General Hospital and temporary downtown facilities.
2002 The College purchased a former call center located south of the Scottsbluff Campus and remodeled the facility now known as the John N. Harms Advanced Technology Center of Nebraska. The Center for Business and Industry for Western Nebraska Community College moved into this facility and continues to provide business and individual training for local businesses and industries.
2006 Through the power of partnerships, the Alliance Center, City of Alliance, and the electrical distribution industry in the Panhandle collaborated to develop the Powerline Construction and Maintenance Technology program. A new facility was built to house the program, located on Highway 2 east.