WNCC has a wellness team that is made up of faculty and staff who plan and implement various wellness programs and activities for WNCC employees. Below are current wellness programs available right now to encourage you to meet various fitness goals.
May has arrived... Time to start your summer wellness plan!
Cougar Strides is planning a number of events this month... You MAY want to check them out!
- April 1 to May 12 - Continue EHA Wellness' Mission to Mars!
- May 1 to 31 - National Physical Fitness & Sports Month is a great time to spread the word about the benefits of getting active. Regular physical activity can benefit everyone - children, adolscents and adults alike! Here are just some of the benefits of increased physical activity:
- Children & adolescents - Improved muscular fitness and bone & heart health
- Adults - Lowered risk for heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some types of cancer
- Older adults - Lowered risk of falls and improved cognitive functioning such as judgment and learning
- May 1 to 31 - National Bike Month - There are a number of ways to celebrate:
- Any WNCC employee who bicyles for at least 60 minutes during the month of May will be eligible for a drawing of prizes at the end of the month.
- May 13 to 17 - Bike to Work Week - If you bike to work this week, have your photo taken while on or with your bike. Contact Kathy Ault to be entered into a drawing for prizes.
- Friday, May 17 - Bike to Work Day
- May is a perfect time to review bicycle safety rules and ride safe! Always remember:
- Always wear a properly fitted bike helmet.
- Be consistent! Ride on the right with traffic. Motorists don't look for traffic in weird places.
- Obey traffic signs, lights & road markings.
- See & be seen. Wear bright colored clothing, make eye contact with motorists and be aware of the traffic around you. Have reflectors on your bike and use white front lights and red tail lights when out after dark.
- Be predictable! Use hand signals to let others know when you are turning, slowing, or stopping. Don't swerve in and out around cars.
- Plan ahead. Anticipate what drivers, pedestrians and other bicyclists will do next. Watch for debris, cracks and other obstacles on the road.
Mark your calendar with these upcoming local events!!
- Saturday, May 4 - YMCA Community Family Bike Ride - Y Not Ride! - YMCA, Scottsbluff, NE @ 7 AM. This is a fun event for all ages. Bring your family and ride one of the local trails for 3 or 9-miles. If you're feeling more adventurous, pick a longer distance and ride 28, 54 or 80-miles! This is a fun event to kick of the biking season!
- Saturday, May 11 - Summit to Summit 2013 - Summit Christian College, Gering @ 8AM. Run, walk, or shuttle from the Summit Christian College campus to the top of Scotts Bluff National Monument. Attendees may also participate in a Health Fair, including blood screenings for a small fee.
- Saturday, June 8 - Scottsbluff Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon - YMCA, Scottsbluff, NE @ 7 AM. This event includes a 500 yard swim, 12 mile bike ride and a 5K run. You can participate as an individual or participate as a team. For anyone ages 14 and older. Register and start training today!
- Saturday, July 13 - Oregon Trail Hill Climb Time Trial - Scott Bluff National Monument, Gering, NE @ 7 AM. This event times participants as they ride their bicycles up the 1.6 mile road to the top of the Monument. Riders start at 1 minute intervals. See how fast you can get to the top!
- Saturday, September 28 - Monument Marathon
- Saturday, October 26 - Fall Frolic
Check out the various area and regional events & activities to keep yourself involved and active!