Things to Do...
Cougar Strides is dedicated to offering various programs to encourage you to get involved in improving your wellness. We hope you find these programs enjoyable and find that they encourage you toward improving your health and well-being.
Most of all, have fun!!
Do YOUR part to promote wellness during the Holiday Season!
Freeze the Gain Holiday Maintain Challenge (December 1, 2013 to January 5, 2014)
The holiday season means delicious foods, social gatherings and celebrations. Cougar Strides wants everyone to enjoy all of the festivities and meals that are associated with the holiday season without losing sight of the importance of healthy eating and regular physical activity. During this challenge, shift your focus from weight loss to simply maintaining your current weight and healthy lifestyle.
Here's how to participate:
- Email Teresa Allen with your name & department to sign up
- Sign the pledge form and hand it in your office or home to remind & motivate you throughout the holidays
- Weigh yourself on December 1 (or as soon as possible) to establish your starting weight
- Weigh yourself on January 5 to determine your ending weight
- Email Teresa Allen if your ending weight is within 2-3 pounds of your starting weight OR if you lost weight during the challenge period
- All who enter will be entered into a drawing on January 5th
To help motivate you, a weekly email newsletter will be sent during the challenge.
EHA Fitness December Program: Power of Music - Sign up today!
Holiday time is a hectic and stressful time. Music offeres physical & mental health benefits all through life, whether you enjoy playing an instruments or listening to your favorite music. Research has found that music can lower your blood pressure, boost your brain power and even ease your everyday stress.
- Listen to & enjoy music for at least 30 minutes each day AND
- Make new and different varieties of music a part of your life.
- All registered participants will receive a $5 gift card to purchase music at Amazon's MP3 store.
- 20 completed days are required for drawing for one of 300 $25 gift cards
How are you doing on tracking your WNCC Total Wellness Program?
What is the WNCC Total Wellness Program?
This new program is an interactive and exciting new addition to WNCC's current wellness offerings. Total Wellness promotes simple steps you can take to stay healthy and maintain focus on your health. As a participant, you will be provided tools and incentives to assist you in your daily health and lifestyle choices. You will get points for your participation in various incentive programs such as those offered by EHA, preventive health screenings, lunch & learns, participating in fitness activities and events as part of WNCC or in the community.
What are the benefits?
By participating, you can improve your overall personal health and well-being PLUS earn gift cards and other prizes.
What do I have to do as a participant?
- Contact Kathy Ault to let her know you are participating.
- Download a Tracking Log.
- Keep track of your participation in various activities and wellness programs on your tracking log throughout the year.
- Log your activities between September 1, 2013 and January 17, 2014. Begin a new log for January 18, 2014 to May 1, 2014.
- Turn in your tracking logs to Kathy Ault in January and May.
- Gift cards will be awarded based on total points earned. Completion prizes will be awarded at the end of the year luncheon.
How do I get started?
Contact Kathy Ault in Human Resources and tell her you would like to sign up for the Total Wellness Program. Start tracking your participation in various wellness activities. Turn in your tracking log (to date) in January and again in May. How simple is that?
Minutes to Better Health/Walking Works Program
Calling all walkers, runners & exercise enthusiasts - Session 2 is Beginning!
Do you like to walk, jog or run? Do you spend time lifting weights or participating in other exercise or fitness activities? If so, the Minutes to Better Health Program is just for you!
Begin by logging your steps or the minutes you spend exercising in the Minutes to Better Health/Walking Works Program. Challenge yourself by walking and tracking the number of minutes or the number of steps you walk each day. Your goal should be to walk at leaast 10,000 steps each day or at least 30 minutes each day. If you participate in other types of exercise, track the number of minutes you spend working out.
- Download & save the 10,000 Steps Excel Log (Note: Each session is on a different worksheet tab in the Excel log!)
- 2nd Session: November 25 to February 16
- Use the Excel log to record the number of steps OR the number of minutes spent exercising on the appropriate week & day of the log (Note: Do NOT mix steps and minutes. Choose one or the other as the method of recording your activity).
- The spreadsheet will automatically update your information and chart your progress
- At the end of each session, submit your log to Kathy Ault for be entered into a drawing.
Local & Regional Fitness Events & Activities
Check out the following events as you make your plans!
- Saturday, December 14 - Littleton, CO
Santa Stampede 5K/10K
The holidays can be stressful, so why not keep the stress away with a family friendly run. The Santa Stampede is a flat and fast 5K and 10K held along the banks of the scenic South Platte River in Littleton, Colorado. Last year, we welcomed more than 1,100 finishers with steaming cups of hot cocoa. This year, all runners will get a Santa hat with registration, as well ast he same top-notch chip timing, a race logo t-shirt, gift certificate from Runners Roost, and finish line expo with vendors and food.
- Saturday, December 21 - Denver, CO
A Christmas Carol Classic 5K/10K & Tiny Tim 1K
The season will soon be upon us, so warm up the vocal cords and be ready to carol, run & walk! Join us for the 3rd annual Christmas Carol Classic 5K/10K & Tiny Tim 1K! Be part of this themed event in the true spirit of the Holiday Season and help us to engage in the Gift of Giving to Denver Children's Home, an organization that has been dedicated for 136 years to restoring hope and health to traumatized children and families. Carolers begin at 7:45 AM. Tiny Tim 1K begins at 8:40 AM. 5K & 10K begin at 9:00 AM. Awards & Holdiay Festivities follow at City Park.
- Saturday, January 18 - Littleton, CO
Frosty's Frozen Five & Ten
Frosty's Frozen Five & Ten is a flat and fast 5-mile and 10-mile race held each January in Littleton, Colorado. The race starts and finishes at Hudson Gardens and the course travels the paved Platte River Trail. A long-sleeved shirt, chip timing, and a great finish line expo make this epic winter race the best in Colorado!
- Saturday, February 1 - Laramie, WY
Snowy Range Snowshoe Races
Join us at the Snowy Range Ski & Recreation Area in beautiful southeastern Wyoming for a fun day of snowshoe racing! 5k & 10K are U.S. Showshoeing Association (USSSA) Wyoming State Championships and National Championship Qualifiers. All races start and finish at the festive ski area main lodge... world cup style!