Upward Bound is a Federal TRIO program designed to generate the skills and motivation necessary for success in postsecondary education among high school students who are potential first generation college students. The Western Nebraska Community College Upward Bound Program has been in operation since 1995.
Purpose of the Program
Western Nebraska Community College's TRIO Upward Bound program is designed to generate in limited-income, potential first-generation college students the skills and motivation necessary to complete high school and to enter and graduate from a program of post-secondary education.
Target High Schools
Local high schools are targeted for Upward Bound services: Gering, Minatare, Mitchell and Scottsbluff. Since the target high schools are located within a ten-mile radius of WNCC, Upward Bound is close enough for students to have easy access to the campus and for the program to continue the well-established and valued partnerships with the local schools.
Average results for students who completed the Upward Bound program and graduated high school:
- Entered postsecondary: 90%
- Graduated postsecondary: 43%
- Currently enrolled in postsecondary: 43%
- Currently serving in military: 12%
43% graduated and/or still attending PSE
Potential participants are obliged to meet certain requirements regarding income or first-generation status to be eligible. A student must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. Students must have the desire and capability to succeed in high school and prepare to enter postsecondary education. Upon acceptance, participants can remain in the program until high school graduation.
High expectations and standards are at the core of the Upward Bound Program.
The Program simulates the college experience by implementing a six-week residential component each summer, and by offering a daily class during the regular academic year in cooperation with the target high school schedules. Upward Bound offers comprehensive and intensive academic, counseling, career, tutorial, and supportive services to each student.
Overview of Services
- Academic Year Program
- College preparation workshops
- Academic advising, counseling, and tutoring services
- Information about the college search and application process, including special workshops, financial aid advising, ACT preparation classes
- Parent conferences, workshops, and meetings
- Cultural, social, and extra-curricular programs
- Use of College resources and facilities, i.e. library, Discovery and computer labs
- Summer Academic Program
- A six-week academic residential campus experience
- College preparation courses in mathematics, English, science, and foreign language
- Counseling and student development workshops
- Tutoring and study skills services.
- College and career exploration seminars.
- Parent conferences and meetings
- Cultural, social and intramural programs
- Use of Western Nebraska Community Colleges resources and facilities, such as the library, computer and Discovery laboratories, and recreation center.
Students who have successfully completed WNCC's Upward Bound program have been accepted to such institutions as:
- Western Nebraska Community College
- Chadron State College
- Cornell College
- University of Nebraska - Kearney
- University of Nebraska - Lincoln
- Hastings College
- Rocky Mountain College, Montana
- University of Wyoming
- Creighton University
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology